Friday, October 5, 2007

Good Choices

It's funny how smells bring back memories.

Yesterday, I was hit with the smell of every school cafeteria in which I've ever been.

It's also funny where the mind leads you when a memory brings out a random thought.

Cafeterias always remind me of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and as I thought about my years-long routine of daily pb&j I started thinking about how my tastes have evolved since childhood.

I don't like to chew on Jolly Ranchers, pizza is not my favorite food, and I get sick of eating ice cream after the first scoop for example.

So what's different about peanut butter and jelly?

Not much

But I've found a much better use for peanut butter: apple slices.

It's not to say that jelly is bad, or that it doesn't go well with peanut butter. It's just that peanut butter is better with apple slices.

It is at once crisp and smooth, sweet and savory, and cold and warm. And for good measure, it's better for you.

How many things in life afford you so much variability yet such consistency in goodness?

Not many.

Writing it down makes me understand why I never get bored with it.

Now take a second and think about it. What things in your life are the jelly? What things in your life are good, but not the best? I challenge you to cut those things out as soon as you see them. Finding comfort in good will kill your best. It's easy to stick with what has been getting you by because it hasn't let you down, but we were not made for simply getting by. We were created for excellence.

Go and find the apple slices to your peanut butter.

No comments: