Thursday, November 6, 2008

At Long Last

For the first time in my life, I am preoccupied with God.

I've been enamoured with God before, I've enjoyed reading the bible before, I've cried as I lamented my sins to the Father before, but never have I had this sort of constant righteous distraction that permeates.
"...of Him, and through Him, and to Him are all things.  To Him be glory forever. Amen" (Romans 11:36)
I have read this before, but now I see and feel the weight of its truth.  He does not abide in the "God moments" but rather in all moments.  It was only in the "God moments" that I did not fail to know it.

Give glory to God, for it is His already!

Picture the delight of the parents as their toddler child picks things up off of the floor of their home and offers it to them as it were a gift.  Our hearts delight in these small things, not because we were given a gift, surely that small thing was already ours, but because our child has given a thing that in their little world was theirs for the taking.

We are but toddlers stumbling about in God's house!  The things we acquire here are but trinkets lying about on God's floor.  Offer them back to God, for they are not yours!  God delights in us when we make little of ourselves in an attempt to make much of Him.  Know that your attempt will fall embarrassingly short of giving God something that he lacked, but give all glory to God gladly anyway.

  

No comments: