Monday, November 24, 2008

Persistent Sin

the one who practices sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning.  The Son of God appeared for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil.
1 John 3:8
This was the arrow that pierced my heart today, because "the one who practices sin" could be on my business cards as my title.  I like the American Standard translation because it uses the word "practice" instead of "does."  We're all sinners.  That is inescapable, but someone who clearly sees and understands what is good and right and makes the conscious choice to do otherwise (herein called practicing) is "of the devil."

Now, we all love to think of Jesus coming to Earth to spread peace and love, but we don't like to think of the rest of the totality of Christ's message.  It lays out some of the rest of His plan up there in verse 8.  His purpose for coming to Earth was to "destroy the works of the devil."  If you are making a practice of sinning, I'm fairly certain that you can expect to receive your fair share of that destruction.

My interpretation of the gospel includes this: Comfortableness is dangerous.  There are all sorts of things in my life that I keep around because they make me comfortable.  I'm sure I'd be ashamed if Jesus showed up and while I was watching Family Guy.  (I don't think the show is evil outright, but I do know the time I spend watching it could be better spent reading the scriptures or praying or even having a meaningful conversation with someone.)

I don't even know what it means yet, but I want to live an uncomfortable life.  I want to be beset on all sides by the power of darkness because of the great works that God is accomplishing through me.  I want to charge the gates of hell and know that they cannot stand against me because Christ is for me.  And I know that's not going to happen until I ask God to separate me from my indwelling, persistent sin, because He cannot be for someone who harbors the works of the devil.

No comments: